My primary field is empirical industrial organization. I am interested in the behavior of consumers and firms and the analysis of market competition. I have worked on various topics (pricing, price discrimination, quality assessment, non-standard consumer behavior) and industries (cars, books, banking, groceries, tourism). In the past I worked on international trade issues such as international trade in used goods and the link between exporting and productivity. I have also written a few things on the Cyprus financial crisis; they are listed at the end of this page, as well as the Policy papers page.
- NEW “Micro‐responses to shocks: Pricing, promotion, and entry,” forthcoming in Scandinavian Journal of Economics (with Alexis Antoniades and Mingzhi Xu).
- NEW “Store expensiveness and consumer saving: Insights from a new decomposition of price dispersion,” with Pascal Courty and Yupei Ma, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 2022. Latest draft – publisher view-only version.
- NEW “What matters for consumer sentiment? World oil price or retail gasoline price?” Energy Economics 105, 2022 (with Styliani-Iris Krokida, Neophytos Lambertides, and Dimitris Tsouknidis).
- “Sales, Quantity Surcharge, and Consumer Inattention,” Review of Economics and Statistics, 99(2): 357-370, May 2017 (with Pascal Courty).
- “National Sentiment and Consumer Choice: The Iraq War and Sales of US Products in Arab Countries,” Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 117(3): 829:851, July 2015 (with Peter Davis and Antonis Michis). Latest SSRN version.
- “A New Dataset on Competition in National Banking Markets,” Financial Markets, Institutions & Instruments, 24(2-3): 267–311, May/August 2015 (with Manthos Delis and Sotirios Kokas). PDF
- “Welfare Implications of Car Feebates: A Simulation Analysis,” Economic Journal 124(578), F420–F443, August 2014 (with Adamos Adamou and Theodoros Zachariadis). PDF
- “Love thy Neighbor, Love thy Kin: Strategy and Bias in the Eurovision Song Contest,” Ekonomia 15(1), 22-44, Summer 2012 (with Thanasis Stengos).
- “Trade-offs in CO2-Oriented Vehicle Tax Reforms: A Case Study of Greece,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 17(6), 451-456, August 2012 (with Adamos Adamou and Theodoros Zachariadis).
- “Peer Review vs Metric-Based Assessment: Testing for Bias in the RAE Ratings of UK Economics Departments,” Economica 78, 565-583, July 2011 (with Panos Pashardes and Alexandros Polycarpou).
- “Prospects and Limits of Tourism-Led Growth: The International Evidence,” Review of Economic Analysis 2(3), 287-303, 2010 (with Adamos Adamou).
- “Modeling the Diffusion of Strategies: An Application to Exporting,” Industrial and Corporate Change 18(3), 415-434, June 2009 (with George Kassinis).
- “Gains from Trade in Used Goods: Evidence from Automobiles“, Journal of International Economics 76(2), 322-336, December 2008.
- “The Effect of Standards and Fuel Prices on Automobile Fuel Economy: An International Analysis“, Energy Economics 30(5), 2657-2672, September 2008 (with Theodoros Zachariadis).
- “Quality Standards for Used Durables: An Indirect Subsidy?,” Journal of International Economics 75(2), 268-282, July 2008 (with Costas Hadjiyiannis).
- “Intermediaries as Quality Assessors: Tour Operators in the Travel Industry,” International Journal of Industrial Organization 26(1), 372-392, January 2008 (with Paris Nearchou and Panos Pashardes).
- “A Textbook Example of International Price Discrimination,” Economics Letters 95(1), 91-95, April 2007 (with Christos Cabolis, Ioannis Ioannou and Daniel Senft).
- “Price Discrimination with Differentiated Products: Definition and Identification,” Economic Inquiry 42(3), 402-412, July 2004.
- “Book Value: Intertemporal Pricing and Quality Discrimination in the US Market for Books,” International Journal of Industrial Organization 20(10), 1385-1408, December 2002.
- “Is Learning by Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico, and Morocco,” Quarterly Journal of Economics 113(3), 903-947, August 1998 (with Saul Lach and James Tybout).
Papers on the financial crisis in Cyprus
- NEW “The Political Economy of Cyprus’ Financial Sector Reform,” in Manasse, P. and Katsikas, D. (ed.) Economic Crisis and Structural Reforms in Southern Europe, Routledge, 2018.
- “Cyprus in Crisis: Lessons, Challenges and Opportunities,” in Michaelides, A. and Orphanides, A. (ed.) The Cyprus Bail-in: Policy Lessons from the Cyprus Economic Crisis, Imperial College Press, 2016.
- “The Collapse of the Cypriot Banking System: A Bird’s Eye View”, Cyprus Economic Policy Review 8(2), 3-35, December 2014.
- ““Cyprus Pays for Its Own Failures””, in Greek Myths and Reality, ELIAMEP/Brookings, August 2013.