My primary field is empirical industrial organization. I am interested in the behavior of consumers and firms and the analysis of market competition. I have worked on pricing, price discrimination, quality assessment, competition in banking markets, and the impact of national sentiment on consumer behavior. I have also worked on international trade issues such as international trade in used goods and the link between exporting and productivity. Currently I am working on consumer behavior in storable good markets and on analyzing market responses to firm-specific shocks.
In recent years I have written some papers on the Cyprus financial crisis. They are listed at the end of this page, as well as the Policy papers page.
A complete catalog of my work with links to papers is available at my Selected Works site. Most of my papers can also be found at public databases such as SSRN, EconPapers and IDEAS. You can also browse my profiles on Google Scholar and ResearcherID.
- NEW “Micro‐responses to shocks: Pricing, promotion, and entry,” CEPR Discussion Paper 13281, October 2018 (with Alexis Antoniades).
- Media briefing from presentation at the 2016 European Economic Association annual congress.
- “Sales, Quantity Surcharge, and Consumer Inattention,” Review of Economics and Statistics, 99(2): 357-370, May 2017 (with Pascal Courty).
- “National Sentiment and Consumer Choice: The Iraq War and Sales of US Products in Arab Countries,” Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 117(3): 829:851, July 2015 (with Peter Davis and Antonis Michis). Latest SSRN version.
- “A New Dataset on Competition in National Banking Markets,” Financial Markets, Institutions & Instruments, 24(2-3): 267–311, May/August 2015 (with Manthos Delis and Sotirios Kokas). PDF
- “Welfare Implications of Car Feebates: A Simulation Analysis,” Economic Journal 124(578), F420–F443, August 2014 (with Adamos Adamou and Theodoros Zachariadis). PDF
- “Love thy Neighbor, Love thy Kin: Strategy and Bias in the Eurovision Song Contest,” Ekonomia 15(1), 22-44, Summer 2012 (with Thanasis Stengos).
- “Trade-offs in CO2-Oriented Vehicle Tax Reforms: A Case Study of Greece,” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 17(6), 451-456, August 2012 (with Adamos Adamou and Theodoros Zachariadis).
- “Peer Review vs Metric-Based Assessment: Testing for Bias in the RAE Ratings of UK Economics Departments,” Economica 78, 565-583, July 2011 (with Panos Pashardes and Alexandros Polycarpou).
- “Prospects and Limits of Tourism-Led Growth: The International Evidence,” Review of Economic Analysis 2(3), 287-303, 2010 (with Adamos Adamou).
- “Modeling the Diffusion of Strategies: An Application to Exporting,” Industrial and Corporate Change 18(3), 415-434, June 2009 (with George Kassinis).
- “Gains from Trade in Used Goods: Evidence from Automobiles“, Journal of International Economics 76(2), 322-336, December 2008.
- “The Effect of Standards and Fuel Prices on Automobile Fuel Economy: An International Analysis“, Energy Economics 30(5), 2657-2672, September 2008 (with Theodoros Zachariadis).
- “Quality Standards for Used Durables: An Indirect Subsidy?,” Journal of International Economics 75(2), 268-282, July 2008 (with Costas Hadjiyiannis).
- “Intermediaries as Quality Assessors: Tour Operators in the Travel Industry,” International Journal of Industrial Organization 26(1), 372-392, January 2008 (with Paris Nearchou and Panos Pashardes).
- “A Textbook Example of International Price Discrimination,” Economics Letters 95(1), 91-95, April 2007 (with Christos Cabolis, Ioannis Ioannou and Daniel Senft).
- “Price Discrimination with Differentiated Products: Definition and Identification,” Economic Inquiry 42(3), 402-412, July 2004.
- “Book Value: Intertemporal Pricing and Quality Discrimination in the US Market for Books,” International Journal of Industrial Organization 20(10), 1385-1408, December 2002.
- “Is Learning by Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico, and Morocco,” Quarterly Journal of Economics 113(3), 903-947, August 1998 (with Saul Lach and James Tybout).
Papers on the financial crisis in Cyprus
- NEW “The Political Economy of Cyprus’ Financial Sector Reform,” in Manasse, P. and Katsikas, D. (ed.) Economic Crisis and Structural Reforms in Southern Europe, Routledge, 2018.
- “Cyprus in Crisis: Lessons, Challenges and Opportunities,” in Michaelides, A. and Orphanides, A. (ed.) The Cyprus Bail-in: Policy Lessons from the Cyprus Economic Crisis, Imperial College Press, 2016.
- “The Collapse of the Cypriot Banking System: A Bird’s Eye View”, Cyprus Economic Policy Review 8(2), 3-35, December 2014.
- ““Cyprus Pays for Its Own Failures””, in Greek Myths and Reality, ELIAMEP/Brookings, August 2013.